And so it began, yesterday the festival season got underway in Dublin at the Iveagh Gardens and Merrion Square no less. Revellers at the Dublin City Soul Festival basked in the glorious and much-anticipated sunshine to listen to some serious underground funk tunes. While at Africa Day, the Iveagh Garden wall was proving more than penetrable as there was some definite wall scrambling going on as peeps were keen to see Paddy Casey and Republic of Loose rock the stage.
Cue hung over Mondays and the obligatory slew of scorched foreheads and peeling legs…yum. Please remember sunburn is an ugly, ugly look, wear sunscreen! Read on for more dos and don’ts to ensure you rock festival fashion perfectly this summer…
- Layer it up; two or three lightweight layers are essential, think bikini top, vest top and hoddie or waterproof jacket. Add or remove as necessary
- Wear Flats; heels and fields? Ne’er the twain should meet, wellies, flip flops or glads, your choice NB: Buy Hunter Wellies in-store from Office and Schuh and online in Ireland from www.welly4u.ie
- Wear Shorts under a short dress; no lady should be seen flashing as she chills on the grass
- Wear a large scarf / lightweight Pashmina; they double as rugs to lie on in the daytime and perfect for keeping warm in the evening
- Carry a small bag; one of those little lightweight draw-string backpacks are great for holding sunscreen, emergency tissues and removed clothing.
- Top it off; avoid hideous sunstroke by wearing a hat, from sun visors to cowboy hats, there are hundreds of styles of headgear to choose from
- Wear a jumpsuit; Porta-loos are not the best places to be juggling excess material and struggling with buttons, you want to be in and out as quickly as poss!
- Wear wash-off fake tan; especially if you are there for the weekend, you will go streaky and that’s all you’ll be able to think about
- Use a brolly; no one will thank you for standing in a crowd with your umbrella over your head, water-proof clothing is the only way to combat the rain, macs come in loads of colours and you can even get fold away ones
- Wear too-long jeans they will get destroyed in the mud and you’ll end up dragging God-knows-what into your tent
- Wear designer shades, if they get knocked off in the mosh pit it will ruin your weekend, Penny’s do awesome white and neon rimmed ones for €1.50!
- Stress; every-one in the camp-site will be in the exact same situation as you. No-one has an iron or access to showering facilities so relax, enjoy and worry about your scruffy hair and grubby clothes when you get home… whenever that might be!
See the gallery for the essential festival must-haves