It’s definitely getting warmer so my thoughts have dared to travel to summery clothes and shorts. I Put these looks together to see the various ways that I could wear a cute pair of denim shorts for spring / summer season. I decided that as I wouldn’t be wearing the shorts that often (this is Ireland after all), the €179 that this gorgeous 7 For All Mankind pair cost could be better off being spent somewhere else.
So I decided to DIY a cheap pair to achieve the same look. This is how I did it…
1. Get an old pair of jeans or buy a super cheap pair from a supermarket / charity shop
2. Cut off both legs, about 10cm’s down from the centre seam (Step 1)
3. Put on shorts and turn up each leg twice to gauge the correct length
4. Mark the top of the turn-ups with pins so that you can see which areas to distress (Step 2)
5. Take disposable razor and rub across the areas that you want shorts to look distressed until they are worn through to the light threads that go from left to right. It might be an idea to put something tough underneath the cloth to protect the other side of the shorts.
6. Wear through all the areas you want and try to aim for the areas that would get natural wear like the waistband and the fly. If you aren’t totally sure how
7. Get some spray bleach or drip some normal bleach onto a sponge (wear your rubber gloves) and apply to the newly worn patches (Step 3)
8. Rinse and allow to dry
9. Put the shorts back on and pin the turn ups properly
10. Stitch the turn ups so they stay put. These jeans have elastane in them so I didn’t tack all the way ‘round as the thread would break. I just tacked various points on each leg (Step 4)
11. Press the turn ups and pull them on! Ta-Dah!
Now, the best part, deciding what to wear them with?
I really like the fact that they are all really different looks, with the same little pair of DIY denim cut offs. The smarter look with the boyfriend jacket would work with opaque tights until the weather warms up, the preppy look with the navy-blue V-neck sweater would look really cute with knee high white tube socks to make it trans-seasonal but the casual look with the green parker and slouchy white vest defo needs sunshine and even festival wellies to rock it properly.